Saturday, April 6, 2013

Caught off guard

I was scrolling through Facebook yesterday, and there was a post from Still Standing (I think) via Carly  Marie.  She was writing something about Mother's Day and being a bereaved mom.  How do you feel about it, will you acknowledge it, that kind of thing.

Talk about caught off guard.  I think I thought about Mother's Day back at New Years, when I was thinking of all the things that should have been this year, but aren't.  I thought about it in passing about a week ago, to remind myself to pick up cards for other people.  Yet, I didn't think about Mother's Day for myself, until seeing this post last night.

I didn't have a melt down or anything.  In a way, I didn't really have much of a reaction, other than realizing that it's coming up.  Soon.  Mostly because I can't afford the time or energy it takes to think about it right now.  The dissertation must get done!  But, I checked the calendar to see when Mother's Day is, and it's two days after I defend my dissertation.  So, I guess I better plan something, even if it's just to hide away.  Otherwise, the adrenaline of getting things done and the high of finishing school (forever!) will wear off, and reality will again hit me like a brick.

Odd thing is, I have thought about my husband for Father's Day, and whether to get him a card from Lost for Words, a line of cards especially for us who've lost babies.

Anyway, I certainly don't have time to think about it now.  I'm off to "Dissertation Bootcamp".  Two 8-hour days of writing in the library. Just when the weather starts to get nice.  Yay.


1 comment:

  1. Danny and I have been discussing Mother's and Father's Day a lot lately, too. We aren't sure what we even want to do, if anything. It's hard to imagine not acknowledging it, because we are in fact parents. Oh the things we must now endure.
    Funny you should say that about the weather getting nice and school, I am just taking a break from school work right now. Wish I could be outside!

    ReplyDelete